Monday, November 29, 2010

Tim Ho Wan | Michelin-Star. Great Value. Worth the Wait

Cheong-Fun

Yes, this is another post about food.  Yes, it’s dimsum, which I’ve written about before (here and here).  But trust me, this is dimsum not like any I’ve tasted before.  Dimsum at Tim Ho Wan.  Where my friend and I waited for close to an hour just to get a table.  Tim Ho Wan, the world’s cheapest Michelin-star restaurant.  It’s owned and operated by a former chef who used to work at a three-star restaurant at the Four Seasons Hotel.  He apparently decided to branch out and open his own dimsum place offering his mouth-watering creations at bargain prices.

I can’t remember from where I’d first heard about the place, but I was determined to find it and try it out.  Which meant quite a trek for me, all the way over to the Kowloon side.  But anything for great dimsum.  My friend and I were there at a little before 10:30am and already there were plenty of people milling outside waiting for a table.  We quickly went over and put our names down, was handed an order slip with #23 written on it, and was told that the wait would be approximately 45 minutes before we could get seated.

tim-ho-wan

After browsing through some of the enlarged news write-ups they had posted on the window, we decided to go around the block to a Starbucks to sit and wait there instead of just standing outside on the street, waiting for our number to be called.
news-write-ups

We made our way back and waited outside the place for about 10 minutes and then our table was ready.  We handed over the order slip where we had already ticked what we wanted (they have bilingual order slips, so no need to worry if you don’t read Chinese). 

It is a tiny place and you pretty much have to share tables with other patrons.  We sat down, was poured some tea, and we waited.  But not for long.  Our food, hot and steaming, straight from the kitchen arrived one after another.  Between the two of us, we’d ordered five items:

Hargow (Shrimp dumplings)Har-gow

Fried turnip cakeFried-Turnip-Cake

Radish dumplings with celeryRadish-dumpling-with-celery-and-mushrooms

Steamed beef ballsBeef-balls

…and the rice noodles with bbq pork in the first photo above.  Five dishes that were delicious, hot, and fresh.  Normally after eating dimsum, I would feel thirsty (from all the MSG), but the dimsum at Tim Ho Wan did not leave me thirsty at all.

Guess how much our total bill was?Bill 
Around US$9.00 --so that’s less than US$5 per person, for a most yummy dimsum in a Michelin (1-star) restaurant!  With food and prices that are incredibly great, it’s definitely worth the one hour (up to three hours sometimes!) just to get a table.  I will definitely be going back to try some of their other dishes.  But next time, maybe I’ll try to arrive by 10am!
~~--~~
TIM HO WAN
Address:  Flat 8, G/F, Phase 2 – Tsui Yuen Mansion, 2-20 Kwong Wah Street, Mongkok, Kowloon (MTR:  Yau Ma Tei station, Exit A2)
Hours:  10am – 10pm
Note:  I did not receive any form of compensation for this write-up about Tim Ho Wan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...